Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Saturday, February 26, 2005

more one minute reviews

Hey-ho! Let's go!



Party Monster.
Ok the only reason I watched this was because Seth Green was just on Fresh Air and he made Party Monster sound like the underrated movie of the decade. But there was actually only a very slim storyline with lots of fabulous outfits. I guess thats pretty fitting, though. While I did love the irony of seeing Macaulay Culkin play a fey murderous club-crazed addict, there was not much else to hang on to.

The Girl with the Pearl Earring
.
I had actually already seen this once in the theatres, but it was the only thing O and I could agree upon watching that was on tivo. So it was perfectly fitting that we should talk through the entire long movie. He read the book, so I got the scoop on how Hollywood kept fucking it up. Apparently this version was not at all subtle and therefore far less sexy than the book. The tension between the maid and Vermeer was grossly overstated whereas in the book it was not just sexual but fatherly(!) Which makes me think yikes! But ni modo, as O says, Johansson is just “loveliness on a stick.” So we kept watching.

Dazed and Confused
For some reason this was one of those movies I had never seen. So I rented it from Netflix. Well, it was a disappointment. Now, I do like Linklater, but this was just a bubble-gum retooling of American Grafitti. It wasn’t even as interesting as the late, great television series, Freaks and Geeks. I hated how the 70’s styling and casting looked just like a cheesy sitcom or trite commercial. Go see Rock n'Roll High School instead.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home