Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Sunday, July 24, 2005

why we do it


list from foundmagazine.com

In trying to understand a thing or to about my own proclivities, I have stumbled upon this insightful article. You see, I am a list maniac. I carry around a small spiral-bound notebook full of things to do, things that need to be restocked, words that I hear and like, snippets of conversations, and books, movies, music that others may mention in passing. Sometimes I consult the book multiple times a day adding to it, crossing things off, or rewriting the list on the very next page. It is tiring, I'll tell ya. And it has become my addiction. If I don't have the book, I write things down on whatever I can find in my purse and hope that I'll remember to enter it into the book and make it official.

I once found a list in the parking lot of my local supermarket. It was a curious list, ranging from shopping list items, metaphysical to-do's like treat Mary with compassion and then the practical: financial snapshot of assets. How crazy would my lists of balafone, 1 lb halibut, and ask people sleep appear to someone else's eyes?

Should I be writing on post-its and just throwing them away? Should I try not to rely on the book so much? Should I do away with the act of listing altogether? The therapist in me thinks perhaps some things should change. And am I really getting that much more accomplished when I have to write down on my list relax?

Here is an excerpt from the article. Or just read it in its entirety. Caveat emptor: this is from the Canadian Journal, The Walrus.

So here is a list of thirteen possible reasons why, for better or worse, human beings love to list:

1. A list turns information into technology. We're all too busy to contemplate, for god's sake. We need to prioritize. A list is about the bottom line: Tell me what I need to know, fast.

2. A list conveys authority, hierarchy, and a sense of order. This is comforting in a world of falling towers and bad TV. A list implies that someone is in charge. A list is also post-post-modern. Everything is not relative! But we're busy, so we need an intellectual valet--a list.

3. A numbered list seems scientific, and therefore more credible than the stuttering human voice of prose. A list radiates the calm algebra of objective truth--even though most lists (and especially the short lists for book prizes) are wanton acts of subjectivity.

4. Lists prosper in times when open political debate is considered mildly treasonous. A list has the look of a corporate decision, or a memo. A list has no sense of humour. (Harper's Index is an exception: a list of neutral statistics reorganized in the service of irony and political satire.)

5. TV shows such as American Idol, Canadian Idol, or The Greatest Canadian allow us to weed out the weaklings, an unpleasant human pre-disposition we never seem to outgrow. From the pecking order of the schoolyard to the high-school prom queen competition to rating women in a bar, we love to rank, and be ranked. Maybe it's biological; we have to know where we stand with others, who the alpha males and queen bees are. Or maybe the wound of not being chosen for the dodgeball team is partly healed whenever we vote someone else off the list. When we dump the talented, unslick, slightly plump girl off Canadian Idol.

6. Lists run deep, they are primal. This is the only explanation for the success of the Bo Derek movie 10.

7. In music, the individual iPod playlist has become a form of musical expression in itself. The new version is iPod shuffle, which takes your playlist and randomizes the sequence. This has a modern, biodynamic flair, like the endless possible recombinations of the genetic code. What is the slogan for the iPod shuffle? "Life is random." This pretends to subvert the traditional, hierarchical list--but a list it remains!

8. Numbers look more modern than words. Text messaging uses "2" and "4" because they are shorter than the words. Numbers are tidy, minimal, and lower-case: the equivalent of the neutral, non-narrative geometry of modern interior design. Words are fat. Numbers are thin. Numbers are cool.

9. Lists represent the triumph of personal opinion over evidence or informed debate. Bush didn't need hard evidence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction; it was his opinion that they existed, and that was enough. Invading Iraq was simply on his list of imperial to-do chores as president.

10. Lists are the spawn of journalism and the media, used to eliminate fine shadings and contradictions. The belief that truth might reside in small, incidental details belongs to the world of fiction. Journalism works on the principle of prioritizing--what belongs on the front page, what news story should lead. This requires a number of subjective decisions that create that simulacrum of objectivity--The News.

11. The indented paragraph begins to have a dated look. Magazine editors now "package" stories, breaking up scary blocks of text with sidebars, boxes, and snappy design elements intended to make print look more like TV. I can always tell the ages of my email correspondents by whether or not they use paragraphs. Punctuation, upper case, salutations--that's for people who don't have a life. Imagine Virginia Woolf ending a letter to Vanessa Bell with an emoticon...Dear Vanessa, I fear one of my headaches is coming on, so I must be brief. Do tell me what you think of my recent scribblings. ;) Virginia.

12. Here is a list of the narrative elements of the novel Mrs. Dalloway: i) Mrs. Dalloway buys flowers for her party; ii) a former boyfriend shows up unexpectedly; iii) a variety of emotions are experienced by the hostess and her guests as the party unfolds.

13. What is the opposite of a list? A personal letter, a poem, a page of a diary, a piece of music, possibly the last bastions of uncommodified, unranked, un-numbered self-expression.
|

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.getipodsforfree.com has this cool thing where if you just sign up and do an offer, you can get a free ipod

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home