Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Sunday, December 18, 2005

2 Really Good Sunday Morning Things

Untitled, Cibachrome print by Jon Huffman

OK there are two really good Sunday morning songs:
Sunday Morning by the Velvet Underground
and Sunday Morning Coming Down as sung by Willie Nelson, but as written by Kris Kristofferson.
It's just one of those Sundays for me. I was out late. I woke up late. I am out of town. I just made some eggs. I have nothing to do and nowhere to be.

I just love that turn of phrase, Sunday mornin coming down. You just can't forget the religious connotations for a Sunday. Sunday has always been my favorite day. Day of flea markets, brunches, laundry and grocery shopping. And yes, if you ain't got God on your side, it can feel a little lonely. There must be other good Sunday songs out there. Any ideas?
sunday morning, praise the dawning
it's just a restless feeling by my side
early dawning, sunday morning
it's just the wasted years so close behind
watch out, the world's behind you
there's always someone around you who will call
it's nothing at all

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
Makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothin' short of dyin',
Half as lonesome as the sound,
On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
Sunday mornin' comin' down.
Geesh, what a freakin songwriter, Kris Kristofferson was! Good Lord, the man must have lived some kind of life. Thank you, hoss.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home