Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Who ever made music of a mild day?

photo by John Humble

Pinch me. Okay you can stop doing that now. I'm wide awake.

Today I did what few people dare to do in my new town: I walked. In the cold. And for a long time. Sure, I could have driven and no, there was no sidewalk where I was walking and yes, my mother's jaw dropped open when I said I wanted to see how long it would take to walk to my sister's house. After mapquesting the two addresses and discovering the distance was definitely doable, I set out the door. And let me tell you the experience was wonderful. The air was brisk, my ears were cold, the sun was setting, the clouds dramatic, and the walk mostly downhill. I only got honked at 3 or 4 times, passed only one angry chained-in-the-yard rottweiller, and got comfortably used to the smell of exhaust. Despite it all, my hour-long walk made me deliriously happy. Like the crisp air, I felt like I really saw everything in extra sharp focus. Every house, every parked car, every street sign as I neared each corner. People were friendly, engaging in short but meaningful conversations and most importantly, I remembered one can walk here, even without a dog, and not only walk but enjoy themselves while doing it.

The earlier part of the day was spent driving around in the car with my parents, checking out different neighborhoods and going to open houses--not because I can buy a house right now, but because it's kinda fun to do. I bullied my parents into stopping and loaning me the bucks to get an extremely overpriced soy latte, and then, a coupla hours later, stopping again--they waited in the car both times--to buy two tacos al pastor for the very reasonable price of $2.16. I discovered some neighborhoods that I totally adored and some houses I totally can't afford. At the same epiphanic moment, I realized I have just moved to a new place (sort of) and there are limitless things out there just waiting to reveal themselves to me (there really are). I would like to make a list. And on it would be some kind of walking tour (I hear there is a woman whose art project it is to walk here every day and she is looking for people to accompany her), getting a new library card, and eating the best ramen soup about which I read an article only today in the city's free weekly. I would also like to climb this city's famous sign, walk to as many friend's houses as possible, converse with a few cabbies, and become a regular at at least one local establishment.

These all seem like reasonable goals, and while I don't want to get overwhelmed by reading some kind of what to do in... book, I am looking for other suggestions for what to do when you are new.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home