Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Does every experience have to be a humiliating one?

Today was a momentous occasion. Today I came out to my family and friends. Mom, Dad, I have a blog. They were shocked and incredulous. There was a lot of explaining to do. Some of them demanded proof. But, we've never known anyone who blogs! Was it something that we did? And then it was Who have you told?!! I could tell by the glazed look on my dad's face, he had no idea what was going on.

They gathered around as I fired up the computer and allowed them to read a couple of posts. My friend Kathy snorted at the intuitive line and I took it as a compliment. But I could tell they were wary. I tried to explain to them about the blogging community, our idiosyncratic code of ethics, but all my mom could say was, you spend how much time doing this a day?

It's true. I come from a long lineage of non-bloggers.

They kept getting distracted by the details. I can't believe you posted that picture of me! How much money is this costing you?! and Couldn't you have chosen a better font? Like all things between me and my family, it didn't take long for them to become wholly uninterested. They began backing away. As my mom was leaving the room and shutting the door behind her, she admitted, anything that could help her daughter find a potential lifemate and thus secure herself some health insurance, she was all for.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home