Mighty Casey Has Struck Out

Sunday, June 12, 2005

middle school



Most of us don't remember it. We've blocked it out as an uncomfortable, awkward and bizarre time where nothing made much sense, the teachers were afraid of us, and even the sweetest softie was capable of the meanest taunts.

My friend Rosie is about to be leaving this all behind, and to be joining the rest of us: those that survived and those that will forget. When I was of the middle school years, the biggest moad (I inquired and that word is still in use although Rosie could not vouch for its coolness factor) was to not just flip someone the bird, but to touch the bird to another's teeth whenever the other's mouth was opened. In fact, just sticking fingers in any one's mouth after it was opened was a pretty good burn and enough to keep your trap closed around the wrong people. Coughing and sneezing while saying things like blow job and loser in the middle of a math lesson just never got boring.

The middle school years were the years I fluctuated between being good (i.e. preppy, sanrio, teddy bear stickers) and bad (stoner, pooka shells, surfer chic) which somehow landed me as a goth by the time I got to high school. Boys wore combs in their back pockets and girls stole them, then hoarded and fawned over them like the fetishes they were. Apparently, I was in love with a certain E.A. about whom I have absolutely no recollection now, but with whom the entire class wished me good luck in the yearbook.

In eighth grade I ran for president. It meant nominating myself, writing my name on the chalkboard and waiting for the a show of hands in support. There was no campaign per se, the nomination and the voting happened pretty much at the same time (it was a small Catholic school, ok!) and I quickly lost to Jeffrey Balesh by two votes, the class divided along gender lines. I did end up winning the uncoveted role of Class Secretary which was not a post in which I was particularly interested. I politely declined and thus ended my political career.

This Thursday I will be attending a middle school graduation and both Rosie and I can forget about it forever.

Have a nice summer & nice labor day
Stay cool
Yours for never

Casey
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home